Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is the latest game in the TMNT franchise. It’s also the first game inspired by Nickelodeon’s new series. While the game isn’t amazing, (it’s good) there is plenty of depth in the combat. There’s also a mode after completing the game called Survival mode that will test even the most advanced players of the game.
In Survival mode, players must fight through all of the challenge maps and simply survive. After completing each cycle of levels, the difficulty becomes significantly tougher. In order to survive and obtain the coveted achievement for completing 20 waves, there are some steps that you need to follow.
- Level up your Turtles: Each of the four turtles has their own stats and skill sets. Unlike previous Ninja Turtle games, each turtle has a completely different play style as well. Michelangelo is very quick while Donatello is a more technical fighter. You must know the turtle you’re controlling and make sure that you upgrade skills that are relevant to your play style. Carefully read what each upgrade does. That determines if you will fail or succeed.
- Don’t be afraid to switch things up: My main character is Leonardo. In fact, I know all of his moves and just feel very comfortable while controlling him. Unfortunately, there are times when Leonardo is far away from the other turtles and they’re being attacked. You must know when it’s time to switch turtles and get your self out of trouble. Even if your turtles are safe, switching your character on the fly will extend the life of some combos and completely destroy an enemy.
- ALWAYS keep track of your turtles: This is a big problem. The other turtles can take care of themselves during the earlier levels, but the later waves can be a nightmare for them. This goes into my last point, but if you feel like they are in trouble or if you see a lot of enemies near your partners, switch turtles and get rid of the enemies. While you may be powerful alone, a group of turtles will always be superior.
- Complete objectives: Completing objectives is the key to accomplish this difficult task. When you start Survival, you will be given 3 objectives. They can be anything from obtaining a 30 hit combo to executing 8 counters in a single combo. Some objectives are easy and some are extremely brutal. After completing a set of 3 objectives, players will receive a Pizza on the next wave. Completing objectives are essential because Pizzas are lifesavers. They can fully refuel your health meter and it can also be used to resurrect a fallen comrade. The more sets of objectives you complete, the more Pizza you get. While some objectives may be tough, they are made easier if you practice the techniques at the dojo first.
- Use items wisely: The final point of this article is to be conservative with items… mainly Pizza. There are times when you just know that there are about 2 enemies left in a wave. Suddenly, one of your turtles gets knocked out and your first instinct is to resurrect them. I would advise against that. Additionally, if your current turtle is about to die and you have more turtles left to control, you should let your current turtle die. They automatically resurrect at the beginning of the next wave so it’s useless to waste a Pizza if they’ll resurrect with a decent amount of health shortly after. Item consumption is one of the most important aspects of survival mode.
Well there you have it. These are some tips that will help you complete 20 waves in Survival Mode. Everyone will be able to jump in, but only few can truly master the mode. Hopefully these tips will help you on your journey to obtain this difficult achievement.